Chipotle-Orange Slow Cooker Carnitas
John Kanell @preppykitchen
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt 34g
- 1 Tbsp chili powder 8g
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin 6g
- 1 tsp cocoa powder 2g
- 1/2 tsp ground coffee 500mg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1g
- 1 Tbsp orange zest 6g
- 1 6 to 7 lb. Boston butt pork roast
- 6 garlic cloves halved
- 3 Tbsp olive oil 45mL
- 1 cup lager beer 236mL, such as Corona
- 2 cups peeled and chopped orange 450g
- 3 Tbsp pureed chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 orange halved
- 1 Tbsp chile para naranja
- Lime-Cilantro Cabbage Slaw and Quick Black Beans to serve
- Toasted tortillas salsa, and diced avocado, to serve
Lime-Cilantro Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 head red cabbage 25g, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp lime zest 4g
- 2 Tbsp lime juice 30mL
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt 3g
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro 25g
For the Chipotle-Orange Carnitas
- In a small bowl, stir together salt, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, coffee, cinnamon, and orange zest.
- Sprinkle half of mixture over pork roast. Using a paring knife, make 1-inch-deep incisions all over pork roast.
- Using your fingers, insert garlic cloves into pork. Refrigerate overnight, if desired, or proceed with recipe.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 2 to 3 minutes per side until browned.
- Transfer pork to a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker. Pour beer around pork; add chopped orange, chipotle-adobo puree, and remaining seasoning mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 hours. Shred meat using two forks; discard fat and bones.
- Let meat marinate in slow cooker for 30 minutes.
- Transfer desired amount of meat to a colander; let drain (reserve liquid in slow cooker).
- Transfer meat to rimmed sheet pans; scatter in an even layer. Squeeze one orange over pork; tuck other orange half onto sheet pan.
- Sprinkle pork and orange with chili para naranja. Broil meat on high until crispy, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Serve crispy pork with toasted tortillas, salsa, diced avocado, Lime-Cilantro Slaw, and Quick Black Beans.
For the Lime-Cilantro Cabbage Slaw
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the Quick Black Beans
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 can of rinsed and drained black beans with ¼ cup reserved liquid from slow cooker and 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, if desired.